Everything I have listened to in the past week or so has been geared towards this crazy Arctic cold air coming to Ohio. You'd have to live under a rock to not know it was coming.
In trying to prepare, here are a few things that came to my mind and are important to keep in mind for any type of situation!
1. Food. Luckily with a huge stockpile of food, I could easily eat a month or so without NEEDING to go to the store. Most of you are not to this point yet. Year around, I try to make sure I have some pantry meals (meals that only use boxed/canned items from your pantry). You will find this is very helpful in the event of unexpected bad weather, or unexpected guests!
2. Meds. Make sure you have picked up any prescriptions you may be almost out of.
3. Pet supplies. Make sure you have plenty of pet food, cat litter, etc.
4. Backup heating source. Some people have fireplaces or space heaters. Space heaters are great if the problem is your furnace, but what if the power goes out? We picked up some kerosene today, just in case.
5. Backup lighting. Candles/flashlights
6. Radio with batteries.
7. Water (if you have a well). One of the perks of city life is that IF power goes out, we still have water.
8. Keep your gas tank full! In these temperatures, if you do have to drive somewhere, it is going to take quite a while to heat up your vehicle! (And who wants to stop to get gas when it's below zero?)
9. Special items for kids. Depending on the age, this could be formula, diapers, baby food, teething gel, diaper rash cream, wipes, etc.
What are some things you do to prepare for bad weather??